I know some of us do pirate themes in our therapy rooms at some point during the school year. It helps to develop that ARRR you know. This is a game that would work with that theme. I found this game unopened for a few dollars last year at a Goodwill store and decided I couldn’t go too wrong with such an inexpensive game. I see there are some 2nd hand ones you can order quite reasonably on ebay or amazon. Keep your eyes open for it at thrift stores or Goodwill.
I used it for a variety of speech goals. It is good for developing some vocalic r words such as sword, barrel, tweezers, treasure, shark. It also had quite a few sh, ch type words such as treasure chest, cash sack, shovel, beach, shark, bridge, and fishing pole. A lot of the items used in the game were not familiar vocabulary words such as tweezers, hammock, palm trees, and barrel. It seemed that everyone knew what a sword was. Finally, there was a good use of prepositions as there was a shark beneath or below the hammock, the hammock between the palm trees, and Hook hopefully staying above the shark. You of course can add other task cards to get more drill incorporated.
It is not a game I would normally have bought. Some of my students have difficulty with small motor skills and this one looked like it could be frustrating for them. In the game, players move figures around a track. They land on squares that tell them to use various tools to remove treasures from the hammock without letting Capt. Hook fall. I was surprised to find that this game actually worked out quite well. Hook doesn’t fall off the hammock that easily. You can hook his heels into the hammock which makes him pretty steady. You can adjust the difficulty somewhat by his placement. Most of the students could find a tool that worked for them and the tools were quite motivating. Some students just used a tool to shove the treasure off rather than pick it up. It was a fast paced game that didn’t end until all the treasures were gathered or Hook fell. Students enjoyed the challenge of the tools and didn’t get hung up on winning.
I was able to use the game for some of my early language learners so I made a communication board to go with it. You may notice that I try to keep my boards quite similar. The pronouns are to the left and connect easily to my core verbs that are usually want, have, get, or put. My middle area after the verbs has the vocabulary that changes and the far right is the my turn, your turn. This seems to work for me for being consistent and allowing students to find the words they need to develop short sentences and phrases. I print them out on regular paper and slip them into plastic page covers. The board is flexible so fits easily into the game box.